By: Kendall Schneider
It often seems like the holiday season is the craziest, most chaotic time of year, rather than the most wonderful time of year. Everyone rushes around buying gifts and frantically cleaning the house for guests. Here are five ways to keep this holiday season simple, focus on the important things, and keep from getting too caught up in the craziness.
- Take some time for yourself. Make sure that you set aside time for yourself. Yes, this season is known for spending time with others, but allowing yourself time to relax and regroup will make your time spent with loved ones more enjoyable.
- Set a limit on gifts. Set a limit on the amount of money that you want to spend on gifts ahead of time, that way you don’t overbuy and spend more than you wanted.
- Think before you say “Yes.” If you love holiday parties, feel free to attend them all. But if you often feel overwhelmed with the amount of events on the calendar, feel free to pick a couple events and turn down the others. Everyone is busy during the holidays, so it isn’t rude to let the host know that you won’t be able to make it.
- Take time to make memories with your family. Do simple things with the ones you love like baking cookies, decorating a gingerbread house, or wrapping gifts. Even simple activities will make lasting memories.
- Remember what you are celebrating. No matter what your religious beliefs are, I think almost everyone would agree that the Holidays are a time to celebrate life, family, and remind us of what we are grateful for. Don’t get too caught up in the materialistic holiday frenzy.